Sunday, March 12, 2023

Colitis? What the heck is that? (February 2023)

 We went to the Yuma rodeo on February 10; I was feeling great.  The girls got together so I could help them with an instant pot dish.  We finished, I took a small sample, felt like I needed to go to the bathroom and the rest is history.  I started to throw up, have diarrhea, poop blood, pain in the gut, headache, and so forth.

We waited until about 7 p.m. before going to the ER.  At the ER, we waited until 2 a.m. before I was seen by a doctor.  They took a CT scan and admitted me right there to the hospital.  So no sleep that night.  I was hooked up to IVs for saline drip, morphine, and antibiotics.  No going home (actually no improvement) Sunday; a little improvement on Tuesday; and Wednesday improved enough to go home.

My colon was totally infected - with what, I don't know; from where it is a mystery - but it was in bad shape.  I took antibiotics for another 14 days and by the end of February I was starting to feel a little better.  I am still having a difficult time eating some foods.  I am watching how much and what I eat.

This was a real scare for me.  At the time, I was reading the New Testament in Matthew about Christ's miracles.  The one that really touched my heart was the woman sitting at the side of the road, wrapped in dirty clothes and waiting to just touch the hem of the Savior's garment.  That was all I wanted to do, if I could just touch Christ's garment I knew I could be healed.  I have thought much about this analogy and am trying to reach out more and more to Christ so that I may just touch his garment.

I've had continuing colon, ulcer, stomach problems for a long, long time and hope that when I get back to St. George hope the gastroenterologist can find out some root causes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A New Year - 2024

 As with all new years, I approach it with some goals in mind and expecting changes to occur in both our life and the lives of our family.  ...