Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Pain in the Back

For years I have suffered with pains down both legs and numbing feet.  It finally got to the point I said enough is enough and I became a partner with Dr. David Stevens.  He first recommended physical therapy - I think this only compounded everything.  I would feel better for a couple of hours and then the pain was back.

Theron and I took the trip to Montana and each morning I would literally cry with pain until I could get enough ibuprofen and heat and cold on my back to give me a little relief.  Poor Theron was suffering along with me and it just wasn't fair.  We had planned a trip to Nova Scotia in September, but I finally said lets use the money and have back surgery.  Our deductible is $10,000 - no small amount and then another $5,000 for the 80-20 split.

The MRI showed that one nerve was completely closed and damage to other nerves was apparent.  The L4 vertebrae was slipped forward to a grade 2 spondyliothesis rating (that's the back problem I had).  Surgery was scheduled for August 15.  I could not wait!

The surgery consisted of putting three sets of screws, bolts, etc. into my vertebrae.  I will always have the hardware because that is what is holding the vertebrae into their proper place.

This is now my 3rd full week of recovery and there is NO pain down my legs.  I enjoy walking and am getting along great.  I can't bend forward not move side to side, but Theron has been my pick up person.  He has been a fantastic care giver!!!!  I just can't tell him enough how grateful I am that he is my husband.

There is now 4 more weeks of recovery then maybe I can start picking up the grandkids again and cleaning the house to a higher standard.  For right now, I am just glad to be able to walk and feel pain free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A New Year - 2024

 As with all new years, I approach it with some goals in mind and expecting changes to occur in both our life and the lives of our family.  ...